Forum 2018-10-31T19:37:31+00:00

Legacy Rules and Resources  

RSS

Steve
(@steve)
Eminent Member
17/11/2018 12:04 am  

Who is using rules and resources from previous editions of Top Secret---First Edition and TS/S.I.---in their Top Secret: New World Order missions, and how are you using them?

Ted liked
skongable
(@skongable)
Eminent Member
17/11/2018 12:51 am  

I've adapted the complications for the various mission types.  One result is one operative now has a $1M price on his head which is being pursued by various freelance hitmen.

ReplyQuote
Ted
 Ted
(@ted)
17/11/2018 1:19 am  

I run my TS games in Savage Worlds on Fantasy Grounds.  I call it Savage Secrets.

Here is a set of Virtual Table Top maps I developed using GIMP for my run of Dr Yes: THE FLOATING ISLAND MISSION originally published in Dragon Magazine #48

https://imgur.com/a/vJ5UG

ReplyQuote
Ted
 Ted
(@ted)
17/11/2018 1:28 am  

Virtual Table Top (VTT) files for Operation Rapidstrike

https://imgur.com/gallery/kBtCxdr

ReplyQuote
Jimmy Bullett
(@jimmy-bullett)
17/01/2019 12:12 am  

One of my favorite features of Top Secret SI was the percentile combat system and the hit location feature.  I frequently add the single D10 to determine where the hit is.  My players love that feature and its so simple

skongable liked
ReplyQuote
skongable
(@skongable)
Eminent Member
30/08/2019 3:21 pm  

@jimmy-bullett

I like this idea.  Do you have the hit location provide any in-game adjustments, or simply for adding color to the combat?

ReplyQuote
Jimmy Bullett
(@jimmy-bullett)
30/08/2019 4:09 pm  

@skonable 

good question - at this point I have all but abandoned the game.  There is hardly no support for the system, the RAW are full of holes and, although the guys that are designing and working on the game are working their asses off, its just not enough for me to play the game consistently.  They have been advertising upcoming support since the kickstarter and there have been two third party releases only.  THey are talking about a release for a hacknoia spinoff instead of supporting this system.  

I have retconned the rules for TS/SI, adding lots of skills, equipment and ideas from the updated NWO release but the core mechanic for combat in NWO is way way too clunky for my group.  I mean perhaps its my group but hand to hand combat is virtually unmanageable as written.  On the topic of support, Jay Libby mentioned FOUR months ago that they would be doing a format for one-page mission ideas and then...nothing.  The facebook pages are filled with great updates from people’s home games (like yours!) and links to articles about espionage which are interesting at time but there is no official support for the game.

I had hoped for something amazing but received 1/3 of a game system.  The handbook is 60% equipment/gear descriptors that are far more detailed than anyone needs in a world with the Internet.  Each of those entries could be standardized to include the name of the gear/asset, possible die levels for its asset die and a one sentence description.  For a game that prides itself on being rules lite so people can adapt to their group style, the entries for those assets are just ridiculous and that’s ultimately what the book is filled with.

Sorry for the rant but to answer your initial question, they simply rolled the location die and we decided if it had a mechanical effect or just flavor

ReplyQuote
skongable
(@skongable)
Eminent Member
30/08/2019 7:28 pm  

@jimmy-bullett

I'm seeing a lot of frustration with the game and the ongoing support.  You are right about the equipment.  That is a very minor part of my campaign.  We have played 31 sessions with one group now and I have found it a really fluid and flexible game.  I also loved the original TS (did not play SI).  I think the number of trade craft categories could have resulted in a really rich rule set.  That is what I am mostly trying to enhance.

ReplyQuote
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register