Forum 2018-10-31T19:37:31+00:00

Realism 101: The NPC operative gone soft  

RSS

Steve
(@steve)
Eminent Member
20/11/2018 10:18 pm  

So, this thought for adding realism to missions popped in my head: How do you handle tradecraft, asset, and decision die for an agent who has long retired from the profession or one who has gone soft and their skills atrophied after being promoted to desk duty?

The example for this is from the Liam Neeson film ‘Taken.’ In it, his contact is a former French Intelligence field agent now promoted and jockeying a desk. In a scene where Neeson confronts his former contact/friend, the contact first retrieves a hidden gun, then pulls it when he realizes Neeson is on to him.  As Neeson throws a handful of bullets at his former friend, he tells him that he [the friend] has gotten soft because he doesn’t recognize the weight of a gun with a full magazine vs. an empty magazine. Neeson then pulls his own gun and things ensue.

My solution is to step down the appropriate die by one factor prior to rolling.

This topic was modified 2 years ago by Steve

Safehouse
(@safehouse)
20/11/2018 10:42 pm  

One die sounds fair, 

The agent may not be as proficient in combat skills, perhaps these may come back over time?

Maybe an increase in reputation?

ReplyQuote
Jimmy Bullett
(@jimmy-bullett)
17/01/2019 12:10 am  

Haven't experienced this yet but I am getting ready to introduce a villain that has hung on from when my group were teenagers playing TS:SI and I will have to do something to adjust the stats - I like your suggestion

ReplyQuote
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register